Know Your Insurance

Damage from most storms, including hurricanes, tornadoes, and hail, is generally covered by insurance. Also, water damage caused by water coming through a storm damaged roof and windows, broken pipes or overflowing appliances is usually covered. Other water damage such as sewer backup may, or may not, be covered.

Insurance covers more than damage to your home and contents. Additional living expenses are an example. It pays for the increase in living expenses, including moving expenses, if your home is unfit to live in or you have to move out while repairs are being made.

If a generator is hardwired into your electrical panel, notify your insurance representative and ensure that the work was done by a qualified professional.

Be prepared. Protect your financial assets. Discuss your insurance needs with an agent, broker or insurance representative.