Notice: Reduced Load Restrictions

A reminder that the ‘reduced load restriction’ is in effect on ALL of the ROADS within the Corporation’s jurisdiction, annually from March 1st and shall be lifted at the discretion of the Director of Public Works, in accordance with By-Law 2002-07.

If you have any questions or to apply for an overweight permit please contact the Public Works Department at (705) 776-2659


Public Works Division



The Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining 120 Kilometres of Township roads in the Township of Bonfield. The Township is not responsible for the maintenance of Highway 531 or the TransCanada Highway (17) that passes through the Township.

Notice: In the winter months, it is highly recommended that all drivers exercise extreme caution on all roads. The Public Works Department will continue to provide the best service possible during this winter season. In order to assist in their duties, please note the following Municipal and Provincial Regulations:

Section 181 of the Highway Traffic Act
Prohibits the depositing of snow or ice on roadways.

Township By-Law 93-06
Restrict overnight parking on any street during the months of November to March between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 9:00 AM.

No person shall park a vehicle on any street in such a manner as to interfere with the clearing of snow from such streets.

The Public Works Department has an answering service for your convenience. Feel free to report road conditions and other areas of concern. It is the quickest and most effective method of contacting this department for service.


Entrance Permits

Entrance Permits are required from the Public Works Department before installing any type of entrance from a Township Roadway.

How do I apply for an Entrance Permit?

You can apply online or by picking up an Application at the Municipal office or by phone to request an Application. The application along with the prescribed fee of $30.00 must be submitted to the Township office and from there a receipt will be issued and the application forwarded to the Public Works Department.

Prior to the Director of Public Works completing a site inspection the property owner is required to stake out the proposed entrance. Once the site inspection is complete the Director of Public Works will then issue and entrance permit as requested or with modifications.

Who is responsible to install my entrance?

The owner of the private property onto which access is requested is responsible to install their own entrance in accordance with the requirements of the Entrance Permit. Once the entrance is installed in accordance with Municipal Regulations and Policies and approved by the Director of Public Works, the Municipality then takes over the responsibility of maintaining your culvert.

Street Lights

The maintenance of all street lights and the yard light at the Government dock on Talon Lake at the end of Talon Lake Road are the responsibility of the Township of Bonfield.

Council is asking that anyone who discovers a Street Light that is not working at night or stays on all day to please report it to the Public Works Department at 705-776-2659.

Street light repairs are completed by a private contractor on behalf of the Township. Once there is 2 or more street lights that are faulty we contact the service people to have them repaired.

For further information or to report any problems with respect to roads please contact the Public Works Department at
705-776-2659. For your convenience there is a answering service after hours please leave a message and our staff will return your call as soon as possible.