FIRE PERMITS NO LONGER REQUIRED, BUT
By-Law 2012-19 prescribes times during which fires can be set in the open air and the making of Regulations for the prevention & spread of fires.
The following Regulations for open air burning are set out in By-Law 2012-19:
- No open air fires shall be set out of doors within the limits of the Township of Bonfield between the hours of 6:00 a.m. in the morning and 7:00 p.m. in the evening from April 1st to October 31st, inclusive, in each year.
1.1 Notwithstanding Section 1.0 the Fire Chief or designate may, at any time deemed necessary for the safety and protection of the residents of this community, declare an ‘Open Air Fire Restriction’.
- The person in charge of the burning operation shall have at the location of the fire sufficient persons and fire fighting equipment in serviceable condition to keep the fire under control.
- No person shall set any fire out of doors to burn kitchen garbage, construction materials or materials made of or containing rubber, plastic, tar or any materials controlled under the Environmental Protection Act.
- No outside fire which causes inconvenience or irritation to others shall be permitted.
- No person shall leave the site of a fire set out of doors until the fire is fully extinguished.
Any person who contravenes any of the provisions of this By-Law is liable to a fine not exceeding $5,000.00 (exclusive of costs) which shall be recoverable under the provisions of the Provincial Offences Act R.S.O. 1990, Chapter P.33, Section 61.
Any person wishing further information may contact the Municipal Office during normal working hours 705-776-2641.
Click here for Ministry of Natural Resources fire information.
Office of the Fire Marshal
Emergency Preparedness Canada
Fire Marshal’s Public Fire Safety Council